Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Friday, April 27, 2007

It's That Time Again.....


Yes, once again, my DH and I are succumbing to the lure of 'gardening'. The picture on the right is always how I imagine things will go.... Neat rows of tidy veggies. Healthy flowers bursting with blooms. Happy little butterflies and heck, I'd even take the occasional duck.
The reality is different. Yes, the rows aren't so neat, the weeds do encroach and there are no ducks. Not that I've got anything to do with the garden.
The truth is, sad to say, that the gardening gene in this house belongs solely to my DH. He does grow the vegetables that I love to have over the summer. But the pain of nurturing those little plants into actually bearing fruit??? Oh my.
I don't think the soil is that bad. And we water. Maybe too much? Not enough? Too sunny? Too chilly at night? Too much shade? He checks moisture in the soil. He's on guard against bugs and mites and something totally disgusting known as the Tomato Worm. Yeesh.
Now I love going outside to pick a tomato....but seriously?? Wouldn't it be easier to go to the market???

7 Comments:

  • At 6:52 AM, Blogger Erica Orloff said…

    Hi Maureen:
    I didn't have a garden in Florida. Too hot, and the types of plants didn't interest me . . . no bulbs and so on. Tough to keep anything alive in the heat and hurricanes.

    Now that we live in the mid-Atlantic . . . I am LOVING the seasons and have a major gardening bug. Right now, my yard looks like an oasis . . . and it is definitely how I relax now. But it's addictive. I am constantly dreaming up how to do this bed or that. I should just sign all my royalty checks over to Lowe's--and set up a cot there. :-)
    E

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Erica! I love a flower garden, but I seem to have a black thumb. I swear, when I walk through a nursery, I can actually HEAR the little plants shrieking "No! Not HER!"

    But God, I do love Lowe's...I buy the flowers anyway...=)

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HONEY IT MAY BE EASIER TO GET TOMATOES IN THE MARKET, BUT THERE IS NOTHING IN THIS WORLD TO COMPARE TO THE TASTE OF A HOME GROWN ONE.

    MOM

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger sdpenson said…

    Hi Maureen,

    I have been unsuccesful for quite sometime trying to use Google..but finally got it licked. It kept saying I don't exist...it lied.

    Ok I am with you...I can and have killed silk flowers.

    Tomatoes are wonderful...in a salad at the Macaroni Grill..Olive Garden..

    Take care!

    ~Sandy

     
  • At 6:10 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    They're good, mom. But what a pain in the ass!

    And Sandy!! Wondered where you've been!!

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger sdpenson said…

    I swear trying to get back in!!! It hated me for a while..I kept changing passwords..even my name..this technology just sucks!

    I have been reading and frustrated because I could not put in my two cents:-)

    Feels good to be back:-)

    Sandy

     
  • At 6:37 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    LOL, Sandy!! Technology DOES suck! And I've missed you!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home