Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Stress Relief...........


The thing is, when you're so busy working you forget to lift your head for days at a time, you can lose perspective! You start thinking about deadlines, and the mad rush to completion and what's up next.
And you forget sometimes, to savor the job you're fortunate enough to have.
See, I have the best job in the world. I'm a writer. People PAY me to make up stories. I get to live in fictional worlds and run them MY way. But I tend to get so wrapped up in what I'm doing that the rest of the real world drifts away.
So I'm grateful for RWA. Romance Writers of America, and specifically the Orange County Chapter Once a month, whether I feel like I have time for it or not, I go to our meeting. I don't always stay for the whole thing, but I get so much out of going!
I get to be in a room with a hundred women (and some men), who all understand exactly what I'm talking about when I want to whine. They know the thrill of fictional worlds and the frantic worrying over publishing trends. We talk characters and plots and every once in awhile, someone says something and another writer gets a gleam in her eye and we know that the magic has happened. One stray thought can give a writer the seed of a story. One friendly word from a peer can lighten your load. One smile lets you know you're not alone.
So to OCC and its members, thanks for all you give me every month.........

12 Comments:

  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I made myself go to the meeting on Saturday and just being in the room with everyone lifted me up. Like you said, it's a reminder that we're not alone, that the "good guys" win and that there are some awesome books that I have to read!

    Mary

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Thanks, Mary. Right there with you. I was soooo not in the mood to go. But I'm so glad I did!!

     
  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said…

    OCC is so the best, Maureen. Always a good idea to go...
    I'd be there with you. But there's the issue of being a thousand miles away.

    Oh, well. Glad you went. :)

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hey, Chris!!! You should so come. Oklahoma, Schmoklahoma. We're worth the trip!!

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    Hey Maureen!
    Coming up for air to say thanks for making me laugh at lunch on Saturday! I'm fairly sure soda came out of my nose at one point. Not a pretty a sight. LOL! But you, Jen, Kate, and Marianne know just what to say to crack me up. :-)

    And I agree with you completely. It's nice to be surrounded by people who understand you, with whom you can whine and de-stress.

    Have a great week...

    Michele

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hey, Michelle! Lunch was fun! (and I wsn't going to mention the soda thing!) Next month though, we've got to get that molten chocolate desert thing!!!!

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said…

    Oh I WANT THAT MOLTEN CHOCOLATE THING! We passed that dessert up for salads? What were we thinking?

    Maureen, I love OCC for just the reasons you listed. There's nothing like being in a room full of people who get your dreams and stresses.

    Did anyone catch Michele's soda incident on their camera phone? LOL! Poor Michele--it didn't even happen but we're going to make a story out of it anyway!

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Jen......you're sooo right!! That molten chocolate thing is for US!

    OCC is just the best...well worth hitting that meeting every month!

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Dana Diamond said…

    I *so* hear you. I've been feeling a little too nose-to-the-grindstone myself lately.

    It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

    And yes, OCC does that for me too. And next time I'll try and make the whole thing. So bummed I missed you!

    :) d

     
  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    Hey, I'm still trying to get Michele's soda spray out of my sweater! But I blame Maureen for not giving the "spew warning" before she said something hilarious. That's just not fair.

    I'm always glad to be at the meeting--whether I thought I wanted to be there or not. ;-)

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger sdpenson said…

    Hi Maureen,

    This was a lovely post. It makes one realize how important friends are.

    No matter how tired or cranky I get..my friends are always uplifting and can always make me laugh.

    Have a wonderful week.

    ~Sandy

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Dana, you are sooooooo not alone! That's why OCC is so important! Makes us remember that there are alot of other people, just as crazy as we are!! Next month, we must find each other!

    Kate, you're right!! My bad for not giving the 'spew warning' right before Michele sipped at that soda!!

    Sandy, Thanks! You're right. My friends keep me sane...and that's quite a job!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home