Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Late St. Paddy's Day...



Once a year, EVERYBODY'S Irish. And we're glad to have you all join us.

I'm a little late on the posting of St. Paddy's Day...but the celebration is no less heartfelt.

I love Ireland. It's one of my favorite places in the world. If I could, I'd be living there for at least half the year...the people are as warm as the wind is cold. The greens are so varied and so rich, it makes your eyes hurt just to look around at the beauty of the place.

And the Irish love a good storyteller. For a writer, there's no better spot. The hills actually do feel alive--with memory. Stand inside the ruin of what was once a castle and listen carefully enough and you'll hear the sighs of the past. The laughter, the tears, the celebrations, the mourning.

Life rolls on and never really changes. Time does, of course. We have the nifty inventions that five hundred years ago would have looked like magic. But the people...we're still the same. We love, we cry, we laugh. And to lose yourself in the magic of Ireland is a blessing everyone should discover at least once in their lives.

So I wish you all the chance to walk across a muddy field. To stand beside a Faery ring. To feel the magic of time gone by and to ease yourself by a peat fire. And when you do, lift a pint to all those who have come before....

7 Comments:

  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    Ah, your post brought tears to me eyes, lass! Very nice!!

    The DH and I always seem to end up in Scotland so I've never been to Irelend. It's my loss and I hope to make up for it soon. :)

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Kate.......I love Scotland, too. Raw and wild and so amazingly gorgeous. But oh yeah. YOu MUST do Ireland next time!

     
  • At 6:57 AM, Blogger sdpenson said…

    Maureen,

    Again a beautiful post and description of the people and the land. Like Kate, we ended up in France on one trip and another in Scotland. Never Ireland.

    I love the stories that I have read that take place in Ireland.

    I spent Saturday (yes I did) morning...watching The Magical Legend of Leprechaun's (Randy Quaid, Whoopi Goldberg (she plays a banshee) I loved it!!! It is such a cute movie.

    I remember years ago reading about Roane's (Selkie's) and just loving Ireland fables ( or maybe not fable).

    For the life of me I can not remember who wrote the book..maybe Dana will...but I just loved it.

    I had not planned to go back to Europe but...maybe one last trip..to Ireland...would be well worth it.

    Thanks again for such a nice post.

    ~Sandy

    p.s. sorry I write so much..don't mean to write dissertations..fingers just keep moving:-)

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hi Sandy.......hey you can type and type all you want as far as I'm concerned! LOVE hearing from you!

    My daughter and I went to Paris for a week a few years ago and we had a fabulous time (in spite of the hideous heat wave that struck unexpectedly!!)..And I love Scotland. And England.

    But Ireland is just something special. Something...'other'. You must make one more trip. Go to the Dingle Peninsula. The Ring of Kerry. Galway Bay. You won't regret it......

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Dana Diamond said…

    Mom, I can't remember the book! I'll see if I can dig around and find it.

    Maureen, Thank you for the suggestions and for this post. I've always had this nebulous desire to go, but now I'm getting an itch for it.

    :) d

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MAUR, AFTER READING YOUR BLOG, I WISH I COULD GO BACK TO IRELAND AND I HAVE BEEN THERE 3 TIMES LOL. YOU MAKE IT SOUND SO LOVELY, WHICH IT IS, IT MAKES ME WANT TO PACK MY BAG AND GO.

    MOM

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Ah Dana....you would LOVE Ireland. Soooo much fun!

    And Mom...right there with ya.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home