Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Monday, April 07, 2008

Today in history...............


Today was actually a pretty slow day in history. You'd think people would try harder, wouldn't you??


But, today, in 1864, the very first camel race was held in America!! Yep, for all you camel fans out there, today's the day! And where was this race held, you ask?? If you guessed the desert, you're wrong. It was held in Sacramento, CA. Now there's something you don't see every day!


And in 1973, Vicki Lawrence made a splash with her song, THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA.


Hmm....camels or Vicki Lawrence. Which made the bigger splash, we wonder........


Like I said, slow day in history.

7 Comments:

  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said…

    Camel race in Sacramento? WHY? I mean who would think that up?

    I like the song THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA...wasn't that also the night they shot an innocent man?

    Boy I hope I remembered the lyrics right :-)

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    LOL Jen! Yes, once again you're brilliant........those ARE the lyrics along with don't trust your life to no backwoods country lawyer!

    Well, lawyers. Nough said.

    I know. Camels in Sacramento???

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    OOPS........that's 'southern' lawyer!! God, I'm an idiot....

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger EllenToo said…

    1864 Sacramento was probably very open and maybe even desert-like. Certainly not built up like present day. So yes I can see camel races there. You know down main street like they do horse races in westerns?

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hi Ellen!

    You're right, of course! It's just, hard to picture camels in Sacramento, you know? And I used to write western historicals!

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    Why, I AM a fan of camels! What a coincidence. LOL. Hey, any animal that can SPIT spells awesome in my book. (Okay, they're not really spitting, but we won't go there.)

    But they can drink up to 32 gallons of water at a time.

    If Vicki Lawrence can do that, then I'd say she made the bigger splash. ;-)

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Michele!! I had no idea you were a closet camel lover!! LOL

    As for the 32 gallons of water, I can do that too on any really hot day!

    Gotta say, I agree with you on the Vicki Lawrence thing.....have to give the gold medal to her in this case.......hard to believe!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home