Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Monday, March 31, 2008

Today in History..........



So, I'm thinking that Mondays are going to be "Today in History" days...Just because this is my blog and I think it'll be fun!

Although, I'm sort of cheating right out of the gate. Because the ever popular pencil was patented not today in 1858, but yesterday. So a small cheat.

The point (no pun intended) is, that a pencil seemed the best way for a writer to start this whole Day in History thing. Because thanks to Hyman L. Lipman, of Philadelphia, who had the foresight to actually patent a pencil equipped with an eraser, writers all over the world had their very first personal delete key. Yes, rubber erasers don't seem like much to us now, but think about what it must have been like before they were handy! So thanks, Hyman--hmm. Wonder why he didn't call his invention the Lipman?

Pick up a pencil and say a quiet thank you to Hyman, everyone.

And, to be completely fair, today in history, specifically 1889, The Eiffel Tower opened in Paris. Pretty, isn't it? Well, most of us think so now. But back in the day, most people thought it was a "horrid nightmare".

Ah well, the tower's still standing while all of those who called it names have been long forgotten. Is there a lesson in there somewhere? Probably. But I'm too tired to look for it!


9 Comments:

  • At 4:52 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    Hey, I like "Today in History" days! I learned something new about the pencil...Thank you, Hyman!

    And what were those people smokin' that they didn't like The Eiffel Tower? Sheesh. I hope to get back there soon!

    Thanks, Maureen.

    (and Hyman again)

     
  • At 6:52 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    LOLOL, I'm with you, Michele!! I really had fun looking all that stuff up....and who knew poor Hyman had been so sadly overlooked?

    And seriously! How could they have hated the tower? It's so gorgeous all lit up at night! I remember sitting there with my daughter, drinking wine, watching the lights wink on.......yeah, it'd be good to go back!

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maureen,

    I have been trying to contact you through the link on your website but it does not work. Didn't have any other way to reach you. I am just trying to find out when "Vanished" will be released. According to the Booklist on your site it says it was to be out in Jan 08 but that did not happen. Could you let me know when to expect it. Thanks.

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Tracy! EEK!! The email link on the website doesn't work?? I'll tell my webgoddess immediately!

    I'm so sorry about that..... Yes, VANISHED was supposed to be out in Jan 08 but production sometimes takes a crooked road...The book is finished and in (and damn good if I say so myself, LOL), now I'm just waiting to get a release date!

    I'll post it here as soon as I know!

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger Aimlesswriter said…

    I too, would like to thank Hyman. My father dropped out of school in the 6th grade to go to work at the Dixon Pencil Factory in Jersey City,NJ. It was the great depression and he had to help support his family(12 kids). I guess I owe the pencil and Hyman something.
    And the Eiffel Tower? I've always wanted to go to Paris, have an hot and wild affair with a sexy Frenchman and leave him with the words, "We'll always have Paris..."
    Ahhhh, someday.
    But what I came here to say is I loved More than Fiends! Someone gave me the book last week and I can't wait to go get the sequel.
    Thanks for a great read. I love your voice.

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hey, Aimless Writer! Another shout out to Hyman!! The man deserves a medal or something. Let me make a note.....wait. where's my pencil??

    I'm so glad you liked MORE THAN FIENDS! I had such a good time writing that book!

     
  • At 8:07 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Oh yeah...Forgot to say, you must get to Paris. It really is gorgeous.....but I warn you. Deoderant?? Not a big market over there....

     
  • At 7:29 AM, Blogger Aimlesswriter said…

    Not enough deoderant???
    I think I'll take a hint from those old historicals where they carried scented hankies. lol

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    scented hankies?? Not a bad idea at all!! LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home