Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Monday, December 17, 2007

Oh, Christmas Tree.................




We got our Christmas tree today.....it's been so warm and dry here we didn't want to get it so early that it would be brown for Christmas! Anyway...as I go about stringing lights while the dh scampers from the room, I always have this mental image of how the tree will look when I'm finished. Sort of like that beauty on the left. Yes, I'm sure the White House is very happy with their tree.

Unfortunately, my decorating skills are not on the same tack as my writing skills--and I usually end up with something more resembling a certain tree that a short bald kid made famous!!

Charlie Brown, anyone??

So while the dh and I were tree shopping, me looking for something smaller this year and he wondering why all of a sudden I'm changing things on him...I actually SAW a Charlie Brown Christmas tree in the lot.
Was I tempted? Oh yeah. After all, for years, when my kids were little, we had misshapen pumpkins on Halloween because the kids felt sorry for the poor things. All I could think was, this poor little tree won't fulfill its Christmas Destiny!

The dh though, draws a line at pity Christmas trees and I was talked out of it--so we bought another Douglas fir, that looked smaller than last year's until we had to wrangle it into a tree stand, then schlep it into the house!! Now, the lights are on and the otherwise bare branches are calling to me to decorate with all the ornaments that have been collecting for years!

Unlike the White House, our tree isn't color coordinated...it's got toothpick ornaments, felt Santas and bread dough teddy bears. Its got pictures of kids who are now grown, glued onto cardboard stars.

And its got love. Lots and lots of love. So maybe Charlie Brown had the right idea after all, huh? It's not so much what the tree looks like when you buy it....but what it becomes once it's in your house. How about you guys?? Fresh or Fake? Designer trees or conglomeration of memories?











14 Comments:

  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    Oh, definitely fresh....if we were buying a tree this year! *g*

    Instead, we're going to my mom's house for a few days, but we've still managed to drape fresh pine wreaths and garlands around the house to at least capture the scent of Christmas! (Mom's tree is fake, but very cute nonetheless.)

    Maureen, I'm sure with all those sweet, memorable ornaments you've got, your tree is even more beautiful than that perfect White House tree.

    Happy Holidays!

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Maureen!

    I am a fake tree girl. I not only have a fake tree, I have a pre-lit fake tree. Talk about cutting your decorating time in half--oh yeah!

    We have in the past had real trees, but have not opted to do so since we bought at tree that dried out to the point of the needles being real needles--they poked the stuffing out of me. That year we took off all the ornaments and left the lights on the stupid thing. We put it on the curb--a strong wind took it and destroyed it--a freaking tumble weed through the neighborhood. I picked up the lights out of our cul'de sac and tossed them in the trash...UGH!

    Now, I'd have to worry about that 100# dog drinking the water and getting 100# sick all over my house! NOPE!!!

    Hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday!

    Husker Kim

    PS
    When is the Fiends sequel coming out?

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hey Kate!!

    Well yeah, I think the tree turned out pretty well, actually! LOL.. I'm thinking your garland and wreath were a lot easier! Do they have lights??

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hey Kim!

    Oooh. Prelit, too! Okay, color me a little envious over that. The lights and I struggle and dance weirdly every year!!

    And I do remember trying to keep the @$!$% dog out of the tree water!

    LOLOL on the image of your Christmas tree turning into a tumble weed!

    A FIEND IN NEED comes out in March! Thanks for asking!!

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with Kate..Definitely fresh..if we were even HAVING a tree this year.

    The White House tree is "too perfect" Those ornaments have NO history, unlike the toothpick ones made by special small hands.

    Hey Maureen - does the third in The Guardian Series come out in January?

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hi Cyndi!! How's that rewrite coming? Get that submission in yet?? (Yes, I'm a nag, ask anyone!--especially Kate!)

    I'm with you. I like fresh trees, ornaments with memories attached and ooh, a glass of wine and some cookies!!

    Sadly, the third Guardian has been bumped again! LOL...there are so many interlinked stories coming out at Nocturne, VANISHED is finding it hard to come to roost! But I'll let you know when I get a date!

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    GRRRR on the Guardian bump!

    Haven't gotten it in, no. BUT BUT

    I did final in the Beacon Contest in Short contemporary series! Goes to Linda Barth at HQ Blaze. Some good news here at Christmas, huh?

     
  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said…

    I'm late, again!

    Fresh...and dead this year. The poor tree is drier than overcooked turkey. We're afraid to turn the lights one. I had my hsuband cut branches back from the plugs. I am envishing a big WHOOSH and FLASH of fire like on Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation. But still...I do love a fresh tree.

    I have been lobbying for a fake tree from sheer laziness, but hubby is still committed to fresh.

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like a real tree.

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hi Jen.......yeesh. The tree fire thing is scary! One year, after Christmas, we had the tree out at the curb (sitting next to my brother's parked car) waiting for trash pickup in the morning--when we noticed a bright orange light!

    Yep, somebody had tossed a match onto the dried out tree and it was a torch! Amazing, really! Then we were out with hoses while my brother raced his car away...good times...

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR "REAL" TREE, SINCE MINE IS FAKE. MINE IS A 7 FOOT TALL SLIM TREE THAT IS PRELIT AND IT IS GORGEOUS. THEN I PUT ALL MY ORNAMENTS THAT I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING SINCE YOU AND YOUR BROTHER WERE SMALLON THE TREE AND IT GIVES IT ITS OWN PERSONALITY. I LOVE IT CAUSE AT 80 YRS OLD IT GETS A LITTLE HARDER TO CRAWL AROUND ON THE FLOOR TO MAKE SURE THE TREE IS SET UP RIGHT. LOL.
    LOVE,
    MOM

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    HI Mom! YOur tree is always gorgeous!!! your whole house should be in Martha Stewart or something!!

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger Christa said…

    really late. I used to have a fake tree but it was old and it still shed. Plus with me living alone and not having a lot of presents to go under it I went with simple(real simple). For the last three years I have had a ceramic tree. It's just over 2' tall. It's got a light bulb inside and colorred pegs on the branches so it lights up and has a music box so it plays "Silent Night" There was a crack in the back which my sister fixed with crazy glue and sparkle glue so it looks like there is snow on the branches. But I don't dare move it so it's up all year. I think the best part is not having to move funiture around to try and find a spot for it.

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Christa, that's a brilliant solution!! LOL....and I love how your sister fixed your tree!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home