Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Taking a Holiday............


So today I went Christmas shopping. Now normally, I'm the Gift Card Queen!! Especially the last few years. I thought it was easier for me and better for the ones I shopped for. Until this year my daughter told me I was leaning toward Scrooge-dom.

Well, can't have that. And just while I was considering that little statement, I found out an old friend died. Now this friend LOVED Christmas. The Edison company sent him thank you notes during the season for all of the lights he kept blazing!

I spent yesterday at a funeral, mourning my friend and this morning, I hit the mall. Odd? Maybe. But for me, it was reminding myself that I'm still here. I'm alive. And the sky is blue and the mall is crowded and Christmas music is blasting and the wind is cold and my family is healthy and happy and I'm HERE to enjoy it all.

So Death didn't take a holiday this year, but I'm going to. I'm going to remember that every moment here is a gift. I'm going to try not to waste any of them. I'm going to love my family and friends and make sure they know it. And I think, in honor of my friend, I'll hang an extra strand of lights this year........

7 Comments:

  • At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So sorry about your friend, Maureen. If he loved Christmas as much as you say, he'd love the extra strand of lights in his honor.

    I used to do gift cards until the last couple of years and have gone back to "stuff." Personally, I LOVE getting gift cards, especially ones for restaurants. The statistics on the number of gift cards never cashed in astounds me.

    Merry Christmas!

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    LOL Cyndy, it astounds me, too! I can't imagine NOT using a gift card!!

    But, I'm actually having fun doing the 'stuff' thing........

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said…

    Maureen, I'm so sorry you lost your friend. There's never a good time, but the holidays just make it sadder. But wouldn't he smile at you working so hard to make this Christmas speical?

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Thanks Jen. Yeah, he would grin about that!

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger Michele said…

    I'm also sorry to hear about your friend, Maureen. But I love how you're choosing to honor him. Enjoying life. Absolutely perfect. :-)

    We're actually buying tangible gifts this year, rather than going the gift card route, too.

    Take Care,

    Michele

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maureen,

    So very sorry for your loss. Very tough--my Grandmother passed away 11/29--and the holidays makes it extra tough!

    Celebrate life--yup--thats what we need to do.

    Take care of yourself.

    Hugs!

    Husker Kim

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Thanks, Michele! It's still really hard, but nobody loved LIVING more than he did! So yeah, I think enjoying what we have is the perfect way to honor him.

    How funny that you too have moved away from gift cards this year!!

    Kim....thank you. It's so hard, isn't it? My sympathies on the loss of your grandmother. The first holiday season without them is always just the worst.

    Remember to toast her memory and laugh alot. Tell stories about her this Christmas so it will seem like she's there with you... hugs back to you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home