Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Another Blooming Veggie!


This is just wrong. No matter how you look at it! My flowers die and my dh grows veggies that look great in a vase!

This beauty is, if you can believe it...OKRA. Yes, I know what you're thinking? Who in their right minds wants to eat Okra? Well, that would be the dh. I don't think he'd ever heard of the damn veggie until he met me--and then my grandma. See, my grandmother was born and raised in Louisiana. She put Okra in everything. And, since not many of us appreciated that little quirk, when I brought the dh into the family, she celebrated!

He's a man who likes to try new foods, so grandma got a kick out of plying him with jambalaya, crayfish, peppers strong enough to bring a grown man to tears, fried Okra and hush puppies.

Now, Grandma's gone, but I'm sure she's still smiling down on her favorite, my dh. Because not only is he cooking Okra, he grows it just to make sure his flowers look better than mine!

6 Comments:

  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said…

    yay, for veggies with pretty flowers!

    Re okra: I like it in Cajun food--somehow they manage to cook it minus that strange and disgusting mucusy thing it's got going on.

    And I love pickled okra. The mild ones. Yum!

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Oh, yeah Chris...the pickled Okra are popular around here, tool. Even with the kids!

    But was is that strange, alien like fluid that happens when you slice Okra?? Can't hardly get it off the cutting board. EW

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said…

    Yeah. Well. The Ew factor. That *is* the problem.

    I don't know what it is, that fluid. That's why I only eat Okra prepared by skilled hands. *Not* my hands, which are about as far from skilled on the cooking front as you can get.

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    It figures something so high on the "EW" Scale would have a flower so beautiful.

    And the DH growing veggies to show you up is just cruel! And not much of a challenge, either...lol

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Ah Kate...........I can actually FEEL the love!! LOL

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can I borrow your hubby? My mother is coming for a visit and if he could make it look like I can actually grow things before she gets here and starts in with her comments, that would be great.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home