Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Friday, September 29, 2006

Brainstorm Becoming a Drizzle?


If your brainstorming is becoming more of a drizzle than a storm, do I have the book for you!

The Brainstorming Kit is absolutely the best book I've found to help you jumpstart your imagination.

When I'm just starting a book, I'm mainly working only from a synopsis and the idea that I had for the story several months before. So it's not always easy getting into the minds and hearts and motivations of the characters. Sure, by the third or fourth chapter, things are beginning to cook! But the trick is, GETTING THERE.

For me, this book has been just amazing. It comes with a set of 'character cards' and the book pages are numbered to match the cards. You pull several of the cards out of the deck, go to the corresponding page and TA-DA!! There, you'll find dozens of happy little ideas designed to spark your own creativity. There are sections for Character Traits, Goals, Internal and External Conflicts, Growth, Plot, Trigger Events, Black Moments and even Resolution.

I'm not saying it'll ever replace a writer's own imagination, but boy, until you know your characters inside out, this book can help you stumble around in the dark with a lot less falling on your face!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    I know you love this book.

    The truth is, I bought the Brainstorming Book years ago and I must've loaned it to someone because I can't find it anywhere. I'll have to buy it again because it obviously works for you!

     
  • At 5:20 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said…

    Great tip, Maureen! I'm trying to track this book down. Thanks!

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Kate, you must find that missing book! It's so fabulous!!

    Jen...the link I put on the article goes to Pam McCutcheon's site. She's one of the cowriters. I actually bought the thing at conference!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home