Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Best Vacation Spot




Ah...I love this place. It's a self catering cottage in County Mayo, Ireland. My parents, my husband and I spent two weeks there a few years ago and frankly, I can't wait to get back.

There's something great about a 'self catering' vacation. Sure, you have to cook (or hey, hit the local pub for dinner and entertainment), but having your own house to live in while you're visiting a different country is just so cozy.

This place is called Knight's Cottage it's owned by Tom and Maura Staunton and they are incredibly wonderful hosts. When we were there, they had four kids with one on the way and the cottage itself sits alongside the Staunton family home that is also a B&B. Plus, it's on their working sheep farm.

We went in March, when all the lambs were being born and it was great. Sitting outside in the chilly dawn, with fog clinging to the surface of the lake that stretched out in front of us. We watched the newborn lambs playing in the front field and at least I tried not to think about their destiny as lambchops.

The other picture I've got pasted up there, (if it comes out right, I'm still getting used to Blogger), is the view of the cottage and the B&B from the lake.

I love Ireland. I've been in love with it since my first trip there when I was 18. I stepped off the plane, got slapped by that cold Irish wind and immediately felt a sense of 'coming home', though I'd never been there before. I still feel that sensation, the moment I set foot in that beautiful, lush, welcoming country.

And when deadlines are too tight, or traffic is ugly or I'm just feeling cranky...I look at pictures of Knight's Cottage and tell myself it's still there, just waiting for me.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I REALLY HOPE SOME OF YOUR FRIENDS CAN GO THERE, IT WAS A WONDERFUL PLACE, AND EVERYONE IS SO FRIENDLY.
    WE ALSO WENT TO DINGLE BAY ON THAT TRIP AND THAT ALSO IS A SIGHT TO SEE, IT IS SO COLORFULL AND IT IS A FISHING VILLAGE.

    I HAVE WONDERFUL MEMORIES OF BOTH PLACES.

    MOM

     
  • At 6:35 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Yeah, but Dingle Bay's sure changed a lot. First time I was there was MANY moons ago, and it really was a village back then!! LOL

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said…

    I'm so there! Well, I can dream...

    *Waving* to MCM (Maureen's Cool Mom)

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    Ah, what a gorgeous spot. Makes me want to start planning my next vacation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home