Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Writers write, right?


At least, that's what we're supposed to be doing. But in truth, when you work for yourself, it's all too tempting to give yourself a day off.

However. I'm being good. I'm working hard on my next Desire and getting into the heads of my characters. An always interesting place to be.

But while I'm at work, I'm also still thinking about my good friend, Kate Carlisle. See, she's at the beginning of the road I've been traveling for the last fifteen years. And in the last year, some really incredibly exciting things have been happening for her. She's won several regional writing contests and was a triple finalist in this year's RWA Golden Heart contest. She also won for her book Snooping in Stilettos. Now, she's a finalist in the American Title III competition held by Dorchester press and Romantic Times Magazine.

But the good fortune that's been flying about her head for the last year only happened because of one reason. Well, okay, TWO. One, she's very talented. But talent isn't enough to get you noticed. It's not even enough to get you published. There are lots of talented writers out there.

Nope, the reason these good things are happening for Kate is because of a decision she made a year ago. We were at a meeting at our local chapter of RWA. And while we sat there talking, Kate made the decision to 'go at it hard this year. Enter all the contests. Approach agents." And because she made a conscious choice to put herself and her work out there (not an easy thing to do at all), things started happening.

Like I said, it's not enough to be talented. You have to WANT it. You have to be persistent. And you have to believe in yourself enough to take a chance.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    You are too sweet!!! I know you like to keep it a secret but it's true!!!

    I've been spinning around on this latest contest thrill ride and didn't visit your blog for three whole days!!! That's so wrong!! Sorry! And when I came back, I saw this wonderful entry about....me! I remember that day last year, Maureen. Amazing, isn't it? Thanks for reminding me I can actually make things happen if I just focus a little. And it helps to give myself a smack upside the head once in a while, too. *G*

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    LOL.......well, kate, if you're ever too tired to smack yourself, just call me!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home