Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Monday, September 18, 2006

Rambling Thoughts WITH A PICTURE AT LAST!


So this weekend, my mom was here on a quick overnighter visit. We call her the Traveling Granny, since the woman is always on the move! That's her with me and my son at my daughter's wedding last summer.

Anyway, mom came in this weekend so she could go with me to an author panel event at the Cerritos Library. Four other romance authors (and friends) and I were speaking on the world of writing! Sandra Paul, Charlene Sands, Patricia Thayer and Barbara McCauley and I were all sitting on a stage answering questions while the audience had a great time with a fabulous tea lunch and truly spectacular desserts.

But the funny thing is, when the questions were asked, one was posed directly to me--signed by 'a bridesmaid in your wedding'. I was so stunned, I immediately jumped up and shouted, "Who's here?" When I found my old friend, I couldn't believe it. I raced off the stage to hug her--accompanied by a lot of laughter. We hadn't seen each other in about twenty years.

And just like that, it was old home week. Years rolled away and we were in high school again. We've already made plans to get together. Her older sister, who had come too, said, "You're the same Maureen!" Which gave me a hard moment or two. You mean I haven't grown as a person? Whoa. That can't be a good thing.

Or is it? Do we, no matter what, remain the people we were when we were kids? Despite life and all of the ups and downs of it, are we, at the core, the person we always were?

Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe it's comforting to know that if you happen to stumble across an old friend, that same connection will be there. Sure, you don't share a lot in your present day life, but the memories are clear. The love is clear. And just for a minute or two...it was nice to feel eighteen again.

7 Comments:

  • At 4:04 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Blogger wouldn't let me add the picture!! I'll try again later.

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    What a great story! The way your friend signed her question brought a little tear to my eye. Very sweet.

    And I think it's a good thing that you're still the same as you were back then. Sounds like a compliment to me!

    P.S. This picture situation is so annoying. Is there something we're missing about the process? Anyway, can't wait to see the photo!

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hi Kate!! blasted blogger is confounding me!!! I've been trying for two days to load the photo!!

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said…

    Hey Maureen, I commented yesterday but Blogger censored me :-( Anyway, what a fun way to run into an old friend and bridesmaid!

    Blogger is very hinky with pictures. Some files are just too large and it won't load them. And Blogger suffers from Wicked PMS.

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said…

    Ooo, and a pic of MCM--that would be Maureen's Cool Mom, blogbuddies!

    And I love this story, too!

    And yeah, bit blech on the picture thing...

     
  • At 6:48 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said…

    Oh, and your son is very handsome... Just all around a great looking family.

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Thanks, Chris!! yes, MCM looked very good that day and did a lot of jitterbugging with my brother!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home