Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Good Intentions Lead You Know Where



No, this is not a picture of me. Though she does have blond hair and a sort of frenzied expression, so hey. We're at least closely related.

Don't know what it is about the weekends. I know, I posted last week about how great they were in comparison to Mondays and that's still true. But somehow, this weekend is slipping past me.

I started out with the best of intentions. Going to write my chapter today. Got up, turned on the laptop, checked email--hey, everybody's got their priorities--then realized I had to go back to the grocery store because I didn't spend nearly enough money there on Wednesday. Oh, and I should mail that book I promised to send a week ago. And while I was out, I could go to Walmart and get a refund from the chick who charged me TWICE for one movie this week. (Should have looked at the receipt earlier, but it took me two days to put the stuff away.)

So hit WalMart first, because as everyone knows, going there on a weekend is like taking your life in your hands. The parking lot alone can kill you. So I'm prepared to do battle with customer service, because I can't PROVE I didn't buy two copies of XMen Last Stand. But the girl was really nice and refunded the money without a problem. This is of course, AFTER I stood in line for twenty minutes waiting for a man to decide if he really wanted to return his kid's remote control car or not. Men should not be allowed to shop alone. But that's another blog.

So on the way out, I'm feeling pretty good and spot some Snap Dragons. I LOVE flowers, but I have the Gardening Thumb Of Death. It ain't pretty. But every year, I keep buying cannon fodder and setting them out in the garden. So I bought some pink ones and some yellow ones and headed for the Post Office. Just wanted to mail off a book, but the scale was broken, so back into line. There's ONE WOMAN working the counter. On a Saturday, people! I'm fifth in line, behind a woman who's having to push her stack of packages along with her feet because there are so many of them. Think about leaving, but I'm already there and I was supposed to mail that signed book out last week. Me. The Great Procrastinator. Finally get to the head of the line and the woman's run out of tape or whatever in the receipt machine--and I get to deduct post office expenses. So I wait. Again.

Finally out of the post office and off to the grocery store. Again. Fill my cart, with way more stuff than I thought I'd come in for, say hi to everyone I know (because I'm there so often, we're like family), and grab a bottle of wine, because hey, after the post office, I'm going to need some tonight. On the way out, stop at the in store Starbuck's. Going to treat myself to a latte. Finally cooling off around here and it sounds really good to me. Wait in yet another line. Finally my turn. Sandra, my friendly neighborhood barrista, apologizes, says the espresso machine isn't working. Hello?? It's a Starbucks. Isn't it the ONLY thing that's supposed to work??

Another line, latte-less, waiting to check out behind a woman who insists on reading the labels of every can she's putting on the belt. It's okay, errands almost done.

Back in the car. Still no latte. Drive home. Unload all groceries. Why did I get so much stuff? Chill the wine. That's going to be important later. Realize I forgot tomatoes. Again. Take the plants out to the front yard. Give them a drink, go inside to finally fire up the laptop again. Get three pages done, husband comes in to eat lunch and turns on the game. (I write on the couch in my living room--got used to doing it this way when I started and my kids were watching MTV. Trust me, working around a game is much easier)--

While he eats and shouts at the TV, I head out to plant the SnapDragons, despite their tiny flower pleas for mercy. All planted. Give them all a good drink of water and watch them keel over in transplant shock. Nothing I can do for you guys, around here, you sink or swim.

TV's off. Go in, get another three pages done and the day's gone. Gotta start dinner.

But first...WINE

4 Comments:

  • At 8:10 AM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said…

    Flower-killer! Oh wait, I tend to kill them too. Guess I shouldn't be throwing stones.

    A few years ago, I was sitting out back with my husband admiring our flowers. He planted them so they were actually growing. Except the petunias. Every time the flower bloomed, it disappeared. So we were commenting to each other, like, "Hmm, that's really weird about the petunias. Wonder what's happening?"

    Just then, at that very moment, our bunny, Willie, scampered out, paused at the last blooming petunia and literally sucked the flower down like a string of spaghetti.

    You just know that rabbit was luaghing his bunny-ass off at us.

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hi Jen!! Wish I had a bunny to blame all the flower death on. Unfortunately, it all comes down to ME........

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    At least you got the flowers into the ground. I usually let them die in their pots. We no longer allow Kate to buy plants.

    And that Starbucks should be fined heavily!! What a cruel trick!

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Susan! I can't believe you let the dh shop alone!! We must talk!!

    Kate...it was a hideous experience. Being that close to a latte and being denied.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home