Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Stop And Smell the Artichokes


Is it fair?

Didn't I just blog about this over on Deadline Diaries the other day?

I have the Gardening Thumb Of Death. All plants come here to die. It's a graveyard of empty pots, straggly roots and dried up flowers. And yet... I keep trying.

I heartlessly bought some Snap Dragons, even knowing the little buggers wouldn't last more than a month. Sure enough, I think we had our first flower death today. I'll check on it again tomorrow and take a pic if it's truly over.

But in the meantime...my dh, the vegetable gardener, let his Artichoke go to seed and look what happens! A gorgeous flower. Prettier than any I'm trying to grow. And he didn't even put any effort into it.

So I ask again. Is this fair?

10 Comments:

  • At 7:52 AM, Blogger Michele said…

    Ah, Snap Dragons are gorgeous, but they last a total of 3.5 days at the Cwiertny house. :-( Not a green thumb in sight. But we're learning...Well, at least my husband is attempting to learn.

    We re-landscaped last year, so he's been out in the yard "experimenting" with what will survive, which means an inordinate amount trips to the nursery. We just tell the folks at the nursery that we have a huge yard to fill, not that we're killing off their plants--it's easier that way. We're getting better, though! The trips are fewer and farther between!

    However, we're steering clear of Snap Dragons.

    Love the Artichoke photo!

    M.

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The only reason I ever have flowers in my yard is if they blow in from a neighbor because I can't grow anything, it's pathetic.

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Aw, Michele and Jill, you guys make me feel so much better!! LOL Good to know I'm in fine company!

    I swear, the only thing I could 'grow' are those drought resistant plants that look more like desert weeds.

    Sigh

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said…

    Sympathies on your snap dragon, Maureen. Tip of the Day--put a pool in and you'll have less room for fickle flowers and plants :-)

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Oooh. Jen. GREAT idea. but then there's the whole bathing suit issue--

     
  • At 3:32 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    I like Michele's explanation to the nursery people. LOL

    And I agree with Jen on the swimming pool alternative. And who said you had to put on a *ugh* bathing suit? Shorts, t-shirt, one of those floaty chairs with the cocktail holder, you can read all day in refreshing comfort! (Wear a hat and apply sunscreen liberally.)

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Oooh. a cocktail holder. Now that's a plan!!

    And Michele....we definitely have flower death. Picture to follow.

    sigh

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    You know what the sad part is? We actually got rid of our pool in favor of our flower graveyard! =:0

    But like I said, we've gotten much, much better! It finally looks tropical and lush, just as we had originally envisioned it. :-)

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Color me impressed, Michele!! Tropical?? Lush??? Jeezz... I'd settle for ALIVE!!

    You took out your pool. Hmm....Jen? You listening?

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Michele said…

    Yeah, well, it was either get rid of the pool or fit into a swim suit and like it. And since I'm eating a breakfast burrito as I'm typing this, we can all see where that's heading...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home