Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Books, books and more books..........


Just got back from plot group. Always a good time, but LOTS of work, too!
This time was a little different. There were the usual four of us... Terry Southwick, Susan Mallery, Chris Rimmer, and me,. But this time, we had someone new in the mix, too. Kate Carlisle. It's always exciting when you've got some fresh blood at plot group. It brings in a new voice, a new perspective. Keeps us on our toes! And Kate slid right in like she'd always been there!
Our group has been together more than ten years. We meet twice a year and plot like crazy for three days.
Over the years, we've tried out new members, too. Some have worked, some don't. And it's nothing to do with how much we love the writers we've invited. It's all about the WAY we plot.
Everybody does it differently, but for us, we each get to plot two books. Whatever we like. We have ninety minute sessions, that give us plot lines, conflicts, turning points and scenes. We go for the big picture, each of us trusting that when it comes time to write the book, we can handle that part on our own!
Other plot groups work differently. Some work on coming up with ideas only. Others will plot each scene in the book and define characters for each other. But our way works best for me. I'm a big picture kind of writer. Help me sketch it out and I'll do the rest while I'm writing the book.
I guess the best part about being a writer, for me anyway, is that there ARE no rules. We do what works best for US and let the rest go. My kind of job.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger Erica Orloff said…

    Hi Maureen:
    That sounds like a great group. I am in a critique group (for the last 13 years) and it is my writing lifeline. But we don't do that sort of high-intensity plot work. I would love to try something like that one of these days . . . glad to read what works for other writers.
    E

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hi Erica.....I had a critique partner for years, but that slowly petered out. LOL..This plot group though, I wouldn't part with for anything.

    Having five writers sit there and throw out amazing ideas is just energizing.

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    You're so right, Maureen, it was truly the most amazing experience, watching and listening and trying to participate--LOL--as everyone constantly shot ideas out for consideration. Can't wait to do it again!!

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hey Kate........you did GREAT on your first time out!! In January, you're gonna love it even more!

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YOUR NEW WEB FACE IS AMAZING, I JUST LOVE IT. MS. SHELLY SHOULD BE CONGRATULATED ON A JOB WELL DONE. I ALSO LOVE YOUR NEW BLOG I THOUGHT AT FIRST I WAS LOST LOL, BUT FOUND SOON ENOUGH I WAS SHERE I WANTED TO BE.

    MOM

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    LOL, THANKS, MOM!! YEP, THE FABULOUS MS. SHELLEY STRIKES AGAIN!! I LOVE IT!

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    I agree with Mom, Maureen - your new blog design is simply bee-yoo-tee-ful!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home