Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Monday, May 28, 2007

Thank a Veteran...........


It's Memorial Day and to most people, it's no more than a weekend of sales and barbecues and trips to the beach. And while there's nothing wrong with that.....At some point during this long weekend, when you're relaxing and enjoying the freedom to do whatever you want to do, take a moment and thank a Veteran.
The older men you see sitting outside the grocery store, collecting money for the Veteran's Associations, are prime examples of who we need to be thanking. Sixty years ago, those old men were young, handsome, strong boys who marched off to fight for the rest of us. Some of them came home, had families and lived full lives. Others weren't so lucky. Soliders, Sailors, Marines and Airmen don't ask questions. They go where they're needed. They go where they're sent. And they stand up for us in worlds most of us will never see. They are the thin, brave line that separates us from possible dangers. They answer a call to duty. They and their families make sacrifices most Americans will never have to think about. So take a minute. Thank the man sitting at the table in front of Von's. Let him know we're grateful for all he and his brothers did. And remember when you see a man or woman in uniform, smile. Offer a handshake. Let them know they matter and that they're appreciated.
It's the very least we can do.

7 Comments:

  • At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Around this time of year, you can always find the Veterans standing out in all kinds of weather, collecting donations as they hand out their little flowers. I have never passed one of them up, because in the back of my mind is the question: What if THEY had passed US up? What if they hadn't fought so valiantly to protect our country? I always remember my grandfather, father and uncles fighting their battles and then coming home to pick up where they left off and it humbles me.
    There is one memory I have of a WWII Veteran that was standing out in the pouring rain as though it were nothing and the look on his face when I handed him a $10 bill. He was surprised and gave me a big thank you, but I wasn't worthy. I placed my hand over his and told him, "Thank you, because without you and your commrades, I'd be speaking German right now and it wouldn't be a pretty picture." Trust me his smile and laughter were worth the soaked clothes and ruined hair.
    So, I encourage everyone to take a minute and thank the Veterans in their lives... Not just today, but every day that you wake up with the freedom to be who and what you want to be; every time you sign onto the internet and post a message on a blog, knowing someone gave you that freedom. To all the Veterans; the biggest thank you on the planet!

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Trish, you made me cry! I so agree. I always make a point of thanking the Veterans who stand outside our stores. And I always wear my little red poppy with pride.

    Without these men and women, life would be far different.

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Erika said…

    Wow ladies. Well said.

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't wear the poppies or forget-me-nots or whatever little flower they hand out- I'd lose them and then it would break my heart. I tie each one around my rear-view mirror so that everyone can see I support our Veterans. When there gets to be so many that it impairs my view, I take them down, tie them into a little bouquet and place them in my back window. And I didn't mean to make you cry! Just smile and be glad that if you do speak German, it's of your own choice!

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger sdpenson said…

    Maureen,

    Dana's step-dad (my veteran) was in Viet Nam in Special Forces, as so many of our generations young men were.

    Thank you for saying this. I will never forget hearing from a mutual friend that a school chum had been killed shortly after graduation. He had volunteered. He was just 18 years old.
    Stunning to me.Brought the TV news home to me like no other news cast could.

    Thank you again,

    Sandy

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    ktzmom, thanks. We should all say it. Often.

    Trish...I wear the poppies, then tie them to my rearview...I've got quite the bouquet going on!

    Sandy...I'm right there with you. I lost people I cared about in Vietnam and so did my dh. My dad and his generation did so much for all of us, we should never forget.

    And to all of our service people now--and your families, a big Thank You.

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home