Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

More Conference Fun.......


Yep, still talking about conference! This picture is me and one of my oldest friends, Jill Shalvis which is one of the best things about conference. The chance to sit around and catch up. And on the subject of sweet Jill, if you want to start your day out with a laugh every morning, go to Jill's blog and read about her adventures in the Sierras.....

Conference was crazy, as always. My friends and I usually arrive on Monday, to get acclimated, figure out where all the conference rooms are going to be and to avoid the hurry-hurry of a couple thousand women registering at the same time! So by Wednesday, when conference starts, we're already in high gear.

This year, the workshops were great--I was even on a panel with NYT best selling author Susan Mallery and Teresa Southwick. We were talking about how to run a successful plot group which is something we know, since we've been doing it for more than ten years. But oh my, if you've been reading this blog for any length of time at all, you know how much I loathe speaking in front of people! LOL......still, it came off pretty well and I didn't ramble too much. I hope.

There was talk, of course. What houses are looking for, are vampires dead (pardon the pun) and are historicals making a comeback? (Hey, I didn't know they went anywhere, but that's just me) The upshot is, just like always, the newest trend hasn't been spotted and no one knows for sure exactly what's getting HOT.

So the secret......as I've long suspected.....is simple WRITE A GOOD BOOK AND SOMEONE WILL BUY IT.

Which, you've got to admit........is sorta comforting!

11 Comments:

  • At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Another cute picture. Are you going to dole them out one at a time? LOL

    How did this year's plotting lunch go with you, Susan and the buyer?

    I'm blogging on Thursday and Friday this week and giving away your books. BUT, I'm blogging again at the end of the month on a different blog and have two of your books there! I'll drop you an email with the link

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    That's great Cyndi......make sure to let me know! =)

    Plotting lunch always goes great, but I'm still waiting to hear how the book we plotted with YOU goes!!

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger Pat said…

    You are so write.(I just HAD to spell it that way) If a book is written well, THAT is going to be it's true sucess. Romance, historical, science fiction....doesn't matter. It's all about what's inbetween those pages. As a reader, that's what I think anyway.

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    LOL, Pat!! Very nice! You're right on target.... Doesn't matter what type of book you're writing. Make it sing and it will find a home!

    Don't follow trends--start the next one!

     
  • At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I HAVE TO AGREE WITH PAT, AS A READER I LOVE A GOOD STORY LINE. IF IT IS A LARGE FAMILY WITH LOTS OF BOOKS IN THE FUTURE I LOVE IT EVEN MORE. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
    SALLYE

     
  • At 10:36 PM, Blogger Pat said…

    Lots of books sounds great to me. I have a MOUNTAIN of them waiting to be read at my house!! Maybe I should try staying away from Borders for awhile.

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger Christa said…

    Hey that pic of you and Jill looks familiar. I believe I saw it on Jill's blog a few days ago. Yup I've spewed my coffee at the computer screen reading her blog. I have now learned to either not take a sip of coffee while reading her blog or keep a roll of paper towels close by.

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Blogger Michele said…

    Aww, great picture! Jill's blog cracks me up every morning...

    Your panel with Susan Mallery and Teresa Southwick helped so many people, including me! I even heard a few talking about it a couple days later...

    And you all did such a great job up there and looked so relaxed. :-)

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Thanks, Sallye! I'm tryin'....=)

    Pat, if you find a way to avoid Borders for any length of time, SHARE!! LOL

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Christa! Nope, this is a different pic......taken at the same time of course! On Jill's blog, my mouth is (of course) wide open!! This one, I'm a little less appalling, while Jill is still incredibly adorable!

    And oh yeah, her blogs kill me everyday!

    MICHELE: Aw, thanks!! I was NOT relaxed. And I rambled. And went off on tangents. And should have just read my speech!! But I appreciate it!

     
  • At 6:03 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    Hey, Jill isn't that old. Har har har! :-)

    And you were brilliant, Maureen!! I was very impressed with your presentation. You should give workshops every year!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home