Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Monday, July 14, 2008

History day.........



Lots of things going on today........... that picture on the left is supposed to be of Mariner 4--an American space probe that flew past Mars today in 1965 and sent back pictures!! Way cool........

And in other news.....

1789 during the French revolutions, the citizens stormed the Bastille and released seven prisoners.

1798, Congress passed the Sedition Act, making it a federal crime to publish false, scandalous or malicious writing about the U.S. Government. Hmm....who needs to say anything false??

1881 Billy the Kid was shot and killed by Sheriff Pat Garrett in Fort Sumner, N.M.-- or was he?? There was that old guy who stumbled out of the desert forty years later claiming to be Billy the No Longer a Kid......

1933 All German political parties EXCEPT the Nazi party were outlawed....That should have been the first sign........

1966, Eight women were murdered by Richard Speck in a Chicago dormitory for student nurses. .....Speck later died in prison in 1991 while serving a life sentence. More time than he gave his victims.

1976 Jimmy Carter won the Democratic nomination.

And.....my mom gave me these.........thanks, Mom!!

Queen Elizabeth the 1st founded the protestant Trinity college in Dublin. Until the 1960's, the Catholic church considered it a sin to attend Trinity. All's forgiven now, though!!

1974, Rubik's cube hit the country like a wildfire. The record for solving the cube that continues to defeat me?? 10 seconds..........

Anybody else???

16 Comments:

  • At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1099: Jerusalem captured in First Crusade (WOW, huh?)

    1857 Maytag invented washing machine (THANK GOODNESS. Me and beating clothes on the nearest rock are not two things that go together)

    1832 Opium exempted from federal tariff duty (hmmmmm wonder what happened that! LOL)

    1850 1st public demonstration of ice made by refrigeration (Yeah ice!)

    1798 1st direct federal tax on the states-on dwellings, land & slaves (and it's been down hill from here!)

    Loved it! I look forward to History Mondays!

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Whoa!! Those are some KILLER ones, Cyndi!! 1099!! Amazing to think about, isn't it? and man, Jerusalem's never had an easy road.

    I grant you, the washing machine--ACES! Me and rocks, not happening--but gotta say...the ICE thing is what does it for me. What would tea be without ICE???

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger Pat said…

    Thanks for reminding me....I need to fill up the ice trays.

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger EllenToo said…

    1958 - Iraq military overthrew the monarchy and made it a republic.
    2003 - Hurricane Claudette hits the Texas coast causing major damage in Galveston and killed two people.
    1933 - Hitler was revealed to be Jew himself

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Pat....LOL, I too am the only one with the formula to make ice at my house!

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Ellen.......those are excellent!! You and Cyndi always shine on History Day!

    I remember Claudette.

    And on the Hitler front....there's just no explanation for it!

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said…

    Maureen am I missing something? What did your mom give you? Maybe it's the heat making me more stupid than usual...

    I can't IMAGINE life without a washing machine...it'd been horrifying and dirty :-)

     
  • At 4:06 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    LOL Jen......I do love you. Mom gave me the last two on my post. the Trinity college thing and the Rubicks cube thing....

    I'm with you on the washing machine thing

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said…

    OH! Now I get it! See...total brain failure.

    Sigh...I really don't have an excuse.

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger Pat said…

    Don't feel bad Jennifer. I don't do well AT ALL when it's hot. Maybe you should fix yourself a nice glass of ICED tea to make you feel better. Why am I so obsessed about ice today?

     
  • At 8:19 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    Okay, confession time: I feel really dumb myself because I thought something was missing as well--like a photo, or something. LOL. Can't let my girl Jen stand alone here.

    Of course, it makes perfect sense NOW. I can't believe I didn't catch it before... ::blushing::

    I think I need that ice now... LOL

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger Pat said…

    Too funny!!

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    LOLOL......Jen, Michele, Pat.... MY bad! I'm re reading the blog here and you know...I just wasn't very clear at all!! I should be a writer!!

    Pat....go get us some ice, will ya?? =)

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger EllenToo said…

    OOOOOOOOH does that mean something is wrong with me because I understood what you meant???? Nah it's because I spend tooooooo many years teaching teenagers.

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger Pat said…

    I'm good to go. I made plenty!

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Woo Hoo Pat!!

    And Ellen.....all those years teaching teenagers--you deserve a medal!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home