Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Monday, June 02, 2008

History day.............


Ah, History Day at the ol' blog again..........Over there on the left is a picture of Queen Elizabeth II. In 1953, Elizabeth's coronation became the first internationally broadcast TV show......of course, most people saw the whole show in black and white, because color TV was still a rarity.

Imagine......only fifty years ago. How many things have changed???

And in other news..........
Much more important to America than some sweet young Queen, in 1865, the Civil War ended. Now there's a biggie, but I couldn't find an appropriate picture. Yes, I could have used Lincoln, but let's face it, Elizabeth looks better in that hat.

1886 President Grover Cleveland became the first President to get married in the White House!

1897, one of my personal favorite writers, Mark Twain, was famously quoted in the New York Journal from London saying "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

1924 Congress granted US citizenship to all American Indians. How very thoughtful, don't you think?? They were only here FIRST.

1941 Lou Gehrig died of the disease that has come to carry his name.

1987 President Reagan nominated Alan Greenspan to be Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board. Man, talk about job security.

Oh, and in 1904, Tarzan was born. Well, not Tarzan, but Johnny Weismuller. Close enough!

So, have any of you got something else to add???


3 Comments:

  • At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ok - now you're playing rough. I'm going to have to dig deep to top you! As Arnold said - I'll be back :)

     
  • At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    whew... I had to so some work to find something!

    June 2, 1928 Velveeta Cheese created by Kraft (and cheese dip and chips has never been the same)

    June 2, 1857 James Gibbs, Va, patents chain-stitch single-thread sewing machine (and causes my mother to lose hours of sleep trying to sew new clothes for my sister and me!)

    June 2, 1981 Barbara Walters asks Katharine Hepburn what kind of tree she would be (and starts a never ending interview joke)

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    LOLOL, Cyndi!! You DID it!! Those are great!

    And my grandma lost her eyesight making me dresses...and poor woman, trying and failing to teach me to sew!

    How did I miss cheese dip??

    The Barbara Walters thing....LOLOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home