Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Monday, April 28, 2008

Today in history..........


Yes, it's history day again.......Lots going on, so to speak!


In 1788, Maryland entered the Union as the 7th state! Let's hear it for Maryland's anniversary! Interesting sidebar....it seems Maryland's state sport was ....drum roll please.....Jousting! Yep...I wonder if it still is. You know, you just don't get to see enough jousting these days.........

The very next year, in 1789, a rebel crew on board the British ship The Bounty, took over the ship and set sail for Pitcairn island. And who could blame them??? Who wouldn't rather lounge around on a beach than sit on a crowded, stinky ship run by a nutball??

Oooh, one of my mom's favorite bandleaders recorded his biggest hit today too... in 1940, Glenn Miller and his band recorded Pennsylvania 6-5000. Hey, I've seen the movie and I LOVE that old song.

And in 1985, the tiny town of Parker, Tx, not far from Dallas, reported a 2-1 edge in the ratio of tourists to residents. Some of the 1,000 residents in town were not happy about the 2,000 tourists A DAY coming to their town to see the Southfork Ranch--the Ewing family home on CBS-TV's Dallas. Hmm. If I'd been living in town, I think I'd have found a way to make some money off of all those tourists. I mean they were going to be there anyway....Lemonade stand? Sandwiches?

What would YOU mutiny against today if you had the chance??

8 Comments:

  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    What would YOU mutiny against today if you had the chance??

    100 degree heat in APRIL!!

    Who's on board with me?!

     
  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Oh, man RIGHT THERE WITH YA, MICHELE!!! This is sooooo not right...grumble, whine....

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What would YOU mutiny against today if you had the chance?


    Skinny Models who make the rest of us look fat! LOL

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Ooooh. Good one, Cyndi! And what about those twenty year old models showing us how fabulous the wrinkle creams work?????

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger EllenToo said…

    How about gas prices?????

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Oh God, Ellen YES!!! THIS is why everyone in Europe's been driving those skateboard sized cars for years.....so they don't have to take out a loan to fill the tank!!

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger EllenToo said…

    I have been wishing I could afford to buy a new smaller more gas efficient car but car prices are almost as bad as gas prices. My car is barely a year old so no new car for me.

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    I hear you, Ellen! No new car for me, either.

    I've been trying to trick myself into believing I'm not spending as much on gas. Whenever the gas tank goes down a quarter, that's when I fill it. Somehow, it makes me feel better.........=)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home