Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Monday, May 19, 2008

History day..............




Queens don't always have happy endings! On this day in 1536, Anne Boleyn had her pretty head chopped off by her darling husband Henry's favorite executioner. The claim was adultery... and do any of us believe that?? I don't think so.......

1935, T.E. Lawrence--better known as Lawrence of Arabia--died as the result of a motorcycle accident. A sad, empty end for a man who lived such a big life. (Also the dh's favorite movie)

1958, Bobby Darin's Splish Splash was released (and now, dammit, I have that song in my head!)

1962, Marilyn Monroe did her 'Happy Birthday Mister President' song.....wonder what Jackie thought.....

1967, the Soviet Union, Great Britain and the US ratified a treaty, banning nuclear weapons from outer space. Hmmm.......so all of the aliens out there are safe, eh? Well, thanks for that, guys.

1979, In The Navy, by the Village People hits number 3 on the charts. (there goes Splish Splash and here comes the Navy...)

1992 Vice President Dan Quayle made an ass of himself for criticizing Murphy Brown (a FICTIONAL character) for having a child out of wedlock........Wonder what HE was thinking........

1994, Jackie Kennedy Onassis died. Really a lovely woman with a lot of class and dignity--I give her major points for raising her children to be not pampered kids of Camelot, but real people.
A busy day history wise.................

12 Comments:

  • At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    THANKS FOR ALL THE INTERESTING FACTS YOU FEED US ON MANDAY, I LOVE THEM, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
    SALLYE

     
  • At 6:13 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    HEY MOM!! YOU'RE WELCOME! I'M HAVING A GOOD TIME WITH HISTORY DAY!

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    DARN! You had my three (Anne Boleyn, Jackie O, and Marilyn Monroe!

    Okay - going to go dig for something :)

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1780 - About midday, near-total darkness descends on much of New England to this day it's cause is still unexplained

    1568 - English queen Elizabeth I arrests Scottish queen Mary

    I look forward to your History Mondays!

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said…

    Interesting facts, but all I can think of is In The Navy and the Village People dancing. It's going to be a long day now...

    But wait! That's better than thinking about having my head chopped off :-)

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hey Cyndi!! You still found some I didn't! =)

    And poor Elizabeth and Mary. Now those are some serious family issues!!

    Glad you like history Monday. I'm having fun with it!

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    LOL, Jen! Worse, I had actual VIDEO in my head of the Village People.....dear God, it took forever to get 'em out again!!

    And still better than a beheading!

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger EllenToo said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 3:33 AM, Blogger Diah said…

    Thinking about Anne Boleyn...

    Gives me the creeps thinking on what Henry did to his wives who did not fall sick and die or get away with annulment

    *shivers*

     
  • At 8:03 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    Hey, Maureen, I'm with Jen -- I can't get YMCA out of my head now!! And oh dear, I'm doing the letters and everything...scaring the pets...

    Very fun facts! I love History Monday!

    YMCA....YMCA....

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Diah--

    I'm with you. Although Henry pretty much gives me the heebie jeebies even when he wasn't "divorcing" one of his wives!! yeeesh

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Kate.......those songs are insidious, aren't they?? YMCA!! IN THE NAVY......

    yee gods.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home