Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Monday, June 09, 2008

History Day again.............


Here we are on History Day again...........WHERE are all the days going??

Okay, see picture at left of a famous Hollywood movie star!
1934, Donald Duck made his first appearance--(not as the star!) in a movie called The Wise Little Hen! Donald went on to star in 127 movies and features before retiring in 1967.

I always loved Donald....I think it was because he had the same patience level I did!!

1790, the first copyright for a book was granted. I know I speak for writers everywhere when I say, Thank You!!

1943, the US Congress gave the big Okey-Dokey to the Withholding tax on payroll. Gee, thanks guys.

1959, the first Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) submarine, the USS George Washington was launched out of Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in New Hampshire.

1973, the first Triple Crown in horse racing was won by the great Secretariat. (Did you see this week's race?? Poor Big Brown!)

1980, comedian Richard Pryor almost killed himself with a lighter and a little too much cocaine.

1985 the Los Angeles Lakers win their first National Basketball Association title. (My son LOVES the Lakers. Me?? I don't get basketball.)

1992, one of my favorite performers, Ben Vereen was hit by a car while walking in Malibu. Thankfully, he recovered to smile and dance again.............

Okay, so I throw out the challenge! Anybody have something else to add??

5 Comments:

  • At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gee - Leave something for the rest of us to impress you with! LOL

    June 9, 1949 Mrs Georgia Neese Clark of Kansas becomes 1st woman treasurer of U.S. (the first crack in the glass ceiling?)

    June 9, 1860 1st "dime" novel issued "Malaesk The Indian Wife of the White Hunter" (and look where we are today!) {ah-hem, still holding my breath for the last Demon book.)

    June 9, 1790 1st book copyrighted under constitution, "Philadelphia Spelling Book"

    Mine aren't nearly as fun as yours! Gotta luv "the Donald" :P

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said…

    These are great! You guys always find the best facts out there. Love the pic of The Donald!!

    PS to Cyndi - I've been searching everywhere for your address to send you the books! Will you send it to me again? I know...I'm a loser! But I'm in revision hell...please have mercy. :-)

    kate . carlisle99 @ yahoo . com

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    YIKES!!! Kate has blown our rep!! ah well, it was her turn! LOL...

    You came up with some great ones, Cyndi.....Love the glass ceiling thing. And hmmm....the dime novel. Our very beginnings of 'pulp' fiction.....

    LOVE Donald!! His temper was always so much like mine--explosive. Of course, I loved Daffy too (not Disney, but still great) because Daffy was so snarky, just like me!!

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said…

    I love Donald too! He's got that adorable lisp and he's so sure HE should be the star, not that do-gooder mouse. What's not to love!

    Richard Pryor--that was horrible. Even though he was doing something incredibly stupid and dangerous, it was still horrible.

    Ben and the car crash--too sad.

    I don't have any history day facts because I come HERE to get them!

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    LOL, Jen!! OKey dokey, I'll keep digging up historical tidbits. I have such a good time with history day, frankly I don't care if I'm the ONLY one having fun! LOL

    And oh yeah...love Donald!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home