Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Friday, July 18, 2008

RITA time again.......







Yep, it's that time again. The National RWA conference is almost upon us. Actually, it's rushing toward us and I'm not ready yet. I have however, begun my annual panic attacks. So hey, in a way, right on schedule!

One of my books has been nominated for a RITA this year. It's actually a novella I wrote for Silhouette Nocturne. The book itself was called HOLIDAY WITH A VAMPIRE, and my nominated story was CHRISTMAS CRAVINGS.

This is actually my 6th nomination and it's just as exciting this time as it was the first. Some people might feel bad about not having won yet. But for me, that old saying "it's an honor just to be nominated" is really true.

When you're a finalist, you get a small silver pin shaped like our lovely RITA statue to wear on your name badge, so my six girls look very happy and shiny. Of course, when you win, you get not only the pretty gold statue you see on the left, but you also get a gold RITA pin to put on your badge.

The RITA statue is named for RWA's first president, Rita Clay Estrada--an amazing writer and really a fabulously nice woman.

And yes, every published romance writer wants a RITA. (Think Oscars for the romance industry). But until I actually get my name on one of those beauties, I'll be happy with adding silver girls to my badge.



10 Comments:

  • At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I LOVE YOUR ATTITUDE TOWARD WINNING THE RITA. I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU TO BE NOMINATED OUT OF ALL THE BOOKS UNDER CONSIDERATION DESERVES TO GET THAT LITTLE SILVER PIN AND YOUR BOOKS HAVE WELL EARNED THEM. SO KEEP RIGHT ON DOING YOUR THING AND IT WILL ABSOLUTELY HAPPEN.
    LOVE, SALLYE

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    AWWW............THANKS, SALLYE! =)

     
  • At 12:03 AM, Blogger Pat said…

    I really liked the way that you explained the nomination process to us. This is great because I learned something new. I sympathize with the attack of nerves you must be experiencing. If it were me, my stomach would be a mess!!

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger Michele said…

    I'm so thrilled for you!! And you'll have a cheering section in the back at the RITAs!

    I'm going to have wear my sunglasses around you with all those lovely statues shining back at me on your badge! :-)

    So well deserved, Maureen. Keeping my fingers crossed for you...

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger EllenToo said…

    Congratulation on all your little silver girls. Maybe this is the year for the gold.

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Thanks, Pat!

    Yep, RITA night, nerves settle in your stomach, but for me, it's mostly about the chance I might actually have to go up on STAGE!!

    Although, last year, I was a presenter and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Plus, got to use one of those clear tele-prompter thingies. WAY cool.

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hey Michele, thanks for the crossed fingers! I'm thinking I should shine up my girls for the big night.....=)

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Ellen! Thanks for the good wishes...

    Usually, after the RITA's, if I haven't won, I turn the girls upside down on my badge and tell people they're in mourning! LOL

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger Pat said…

    I'm laughing my a** off after your last comment. I just hope they don't feel nauseated when they are hanging upside down. I think you should win, just so the poor dears won't have to go through that again.

     
  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Sadly, Pat, I think the 'girls' LIKE standing on their heads! LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home