Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Friday, April 03, 2009

Saturday Heroes.........





Yep, Saturday Heroes, posted on Friday! So shoot me. No wait, don't! I've gotta hit the road early tomorrow, so thought I'd post my Saturday Heroes now.........

I've been on a cowboy thing for the last couple of days. Guest blogging at Petticoats & Pistols started me off. But to tell the truth, I've always been in love with the cowboys.

I started out writing Western Historicals and part of my heart is still there.

And let's face it, Sam Elliot is just the absolute BEST cowboy ever. With Tom Selleck a mighty close second. This picture is a still from their TV movie, The Shadow Riders, based on A Louis L'Amour novel....

What's not to love about a cowboy? They were tough and strong, yet tender. They stood up for the weak, punished the bullies and when they gave their word, it meant something.

Sure, the west has been idealized over time and yes, I'm not naieve enough to believe that ALL cowboys were heroes. But back then, when the only thing people had to help them survive was each other....your word had better mean something. You had better be someone who could be trusted.

And when all is said and done, let's think about this from a romance writer/reader point of view. Hat. Boots. Worn jeans. Long duster. Gun on hip.

And Sam Elliot's gravelly, spine tingly voice.

Oh yeah. That's a hero.

Who's YOUR favorite cowboy???

6 Comments:

  • At 3:05 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    Kurt Russell...sigh. :)

    Not exactly a cowboy in the movie Tombstone, but hey... he had the hat, the boots, the duster, and the gun (several, in fact). And he looked darn good as Wyatt Earp. LOL

    Oh, and Sam Elliot was in that one too--as Virgil Earp!

    Frankly, I'll watch Kurt in anything, even those 60s and 70s Disney movies...LOL

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    THERE IS ONLY ONE I CAN THINK OF AND IT IS TOM SELLECK, I STILL REMEMBER SEEING HIM DOING A COMMERCIAL ON T.V. AND CALLING THE FAMILY IN TO TELL THEM I PREDICTED HIM TO BE A BIGGGGGGGG STAR. SAM ELLIOTT IS MY CLOSE SECOND.
    SALLYE

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Michele, You're absolutely right. Kurt Russell is always a winner!! and he made a FAB cowboy!

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    SALLYE, I REMEMBER!! AND YOU WERE RIGHT. I KNOW YOU NEVER GET TIRED OF HEARING THAT! LOL

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Amy J. Fetzer said…

    Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot(that voice makes me melt!) are the best movie cowboys ever. I just watched Shadow Riders the other day.

    Viggo Mortenson made a dark good cowboy in Hidalgo.
    (Hi Mom-Sallye!)

    AMY

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hey Amy!

    You're RIGHT! Forgot about Viggo in Hidalgo! Of course, Viggo anywhere is pretty darn good.

    But oh, Shadow Riders...Sam Elliot!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home