Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Scenes from VANISHED..........



Since my book VANISHED came out a week or so ago, I've been talking a lot about the setting for the book.


The last time my husband and I went to Ireland, we stayed in County Mayo, in what's known as a Self-Catering cottage. It's on the Staunton sheep farm on the shores of Lough Mask. I used that setting in VANISHED and made my hero, Rogan Butler, an Immortal Guardian who once fought for the last High King of Ireland, Brian Boru.

In the picture at the top of this blog, you can see the view from the cottage and the B&B the Staunton family runs. One of my favorite memories is sitting outside, with a hot cup of tea, watching the wind on the lake. Unfortunately, when we were there, the hoof and mouth disease was running rampant through the countryside, so we weren't able to walk the hills as we would have normally. So we spent a lot of time, wandering the roads and simply enjoying the beauty of the place.

The second picture is of Knight's Cottage itself. It's more than a hundred years old and does indeed have a thatched roof. It's cozy and welcoming and made a fabulous home base for our daily travels.

And lastly, is a picture taken from the lake, looking at Knight's Cottage and the gorgeous B&B run so amazingly well by Maura Staunton.

I can't say enough about our stay in Tourmakeady. The Staunton family welcomes you and makes you feel as if you've always been a part of their family.


If you ever get the chance to go to Ireland--(and oh, I hope you do!)--do yourself a favor and get to County Mayo. Mayo is a Gaelic speaking county and every road sign and even the aisle markers in the grocery store are in both English and Gaelic. The country's gorgeous, the people are warm and friendly and the only thing wrong with the Republic of Ireland???

When I'm there, I never want to leave.
What about you? Where's your favorite spot in the world? And did you get your copy of VANISHED yet?

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home