Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Monday, November 03, 2008

History Day........





Well, I tried to make this picture smaller, but the Wicked Witch of the West put a spell on Blogger!!

On this day in 1956, the WIZARD OF OZ was first shown on television!! CBS played the movie and I'm sure got the highest ratings in the world.

The first time I saw that movie as a kid, this witch scared the CRAP outta me......she's still the best. Well, except for maybe Malificent in Sleeping Beauty.........

And in other news.....

1892, the first successful automatic telephone system was introduced in LaPorte, IN

1934, the first race track in California, Bay Meadows, opened

1936 President Franklin D. Roosevelt was re-elected in a landslide

1941, the Glenn Miller orchestra recorded STRING OF PEARLS

1952, frozen bread was first offered for sale for the first time at a grocery store in Chester, NY

1953, the rules committee of major league baseball restored the Sacrifice Fly. The rule had not been used since 1939

1957, the Soviet Union launched Sputnik 2 into orbit--a dog on board, named Laika, was sacrificed in the experiment

1964, Lyndon B. Johnson did a smackdown on Barry Goldwater to win election to President in his own right

1992, Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton was elected President

1992, Carol Moseely Braun became the first African American woman elected to the US Senate

That's it for me! What've you got??

















6 Comments:

  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said…

    I used to love watching THE WIZARD OF OZ! My dad and I watched it together, so I was never scared. Seriously, I knew that witch was no match for my dad :-)

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    LOL.....true, Jen. My dad could have taken her, too. I remember my dad sitting on my bed, holding my hand till I fell asleep after watching that movie!

    Then of course, when my niece was 6 she had chicken pox and had to stay with me for a week cuz her parents had to work. That's the movie she wanted played. NON STOP for a week. "Play it again, Aunt Maureen..."

    By the end of that week, I was reciting the movie in my sleep.

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Blogger EllenToo said…

    Sorry I'm a little late with this; I had jury duty today. After sitting around for quite a few hours my panel was dismissed without having to actually do anything.

    1762 - Spain acquires Louisiana

    1868 - US Grant wins presidential election

    1888- Jack the Ripper kills his last victim

    1917 - 1st class mail now costs $0.03

    1953 - first live color coast-to-coast telecast

    1956 - "Wizard of Oz" first televised

    1979 - 63 Americans taken hostage at US Embassy in Teheran, Iran

    HOPE I DIDN'T REPEAT ANY OF YOURS THIS TIME.

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Blogger EllenToo said…

    OOPS I DID REPEAT THE WIZARD OF OZ so sorry so tired

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Ellen......LOL, those were good ones!! And hey, the Wizard?? worth repeating!

    hope you've recovered from jury duty!!

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger EllenToo said…

    I've recovered but I never realized how tiring sitting around doing nothing but waiting on someone else to get their act together was.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home