Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Monday, September 01, 2008

History Day.........


History Day again..........Yeah, yeah, I know. A late start today!! But while most of the country is taking today off, I'm working! Darn it......

Anyway.......the picture on the left shows today in 1939. The year WWII started when Germany invaded Poland.

In other news.....

1807, former Vice President Aaron Burr was found innocent of treason....

1878, the first female telephone operator was hired--(because customers were complaining that the men were rude!) Emma Nutt (unfortunate name there, Emma) stayed at her job asking "Number please" for 33 years.........

1923, the Japanese cities of Tokyo and Yokohama were devastated by a 7.1 earthquake, killing 140,000 people.......

1942, a federal judge in Sacramento, Ca. upheld the wartime detention of Japanese Americans as well as Japanese nationals.......(not our proudest moment!)

1969 a coup in Libya brought Gadhafi to power

1983, a Korean Air Lines Boeing 747 was shot down by Soviet fighters when the jet strayed into Soviet airspace 269 people were killed......

2007, Senator Larry Craig from Idaho announced he would resign in the fallout over his guilty plea in a Minnesota airport gay sex sting. Later of course, he changed his mind and said he would serve out his sentence--er....term of office.

Not much good news today.........how about you guys??

14 Comments:

  • At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1864, Union Army General William Tecumseh Sherman lays siege to Atlanta, Georgia, a critical Confederate hub, shelling civilians and cutting off supply lines.

    1950: First Porsche is completed

    1985: Wreck of the Titanic found

    You sleep in this morning? LOL :)

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hey Cyndi!! Great ones. And as I'm a Civil War person, I'm appalled that I missed Sherman and Atlanta!!

    ooh. Porsche. a moment of silence, please......

    and oh God no on the sleeping in!! I only wish.....Nope, working, head down, eyes on the deadline looming......

     
  • At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the books and for visiting my guest blog this weekend. Appreciate the support

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT THAT KOREAN AIRLINER, THAT WAS SUCH A TERRIBLE THING TO HAPPEN, I WISH I COULD REMEMBER MORE ABOUT IT AND WHAT HAPPENED AND IF THE WORLD DID ANYTHING ABOUT IT.
    SALLYE

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger Pat said…

    Holiday weekend or not, history marches on.
    1760- Benjamin Franklin invents the bifocal. (a big thank you for that one Ben)
    1889- The Eiffel Tower is completed in Paris, France. It is named after its designer, Gustave Eiffel.
    1966- "Dark Shadows" the first gothic daytime drama, premires on ABC. (I was SO UPSET when it came to an end)
    1976- Women are admitted into West Point Academy.
    1979- Margaret Thatcher becomes Britain's first woman prime minister

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    Wow, a lot happened on Sept. 1st!

    I don't have a theme song to sing to you guys this week, though. :-(

    Sorry, and I absolutely refuse to sing Celine Dion's theme song for TITANIC. ;-)

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger Pat said…

    I really enjoyed getting to hear the the song from the Transformers last time.

     
  • At 11:16 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    I enjoyed singing the Transformers song, too. Wish I knew how the theme to "Dark Shadows" went. :-)

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Oh my GOD, Pat!! Those are astounding!! Way to go, girl!

    I too owe Ben big time! Loved Margartet Thatcher and ALWAYS watched Dark Shadows! LOL

    SALLYE.....I DON'T REMEMBER THE DETAILS EITHER! ISN'T THAT AWFUL?

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    I owe you bigtime for your restraint on the Celine front, Michele!

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Cyndi, you're welcome for the books and I loved your blogs!

    Sorry I'm so late answering all of you, but had a computer malfunction yesterday that took years off my life!

     
  • At 9:18 PM, Blogger Pat said…

    The theme to Dark Shadows didn't have any words. I remember it well, so I quess I could always just hum it. Except for the fact that I would probably sound like a giant bumble bee!!

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Pat, now I GOTTA hear it!! Let the humming begin!

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Blogger Pat said…

    Uh-oh. Well you see I'm kind of busy right now. I have to clean out the litter box, and then, and then.....go hide under the bed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home