Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Friday, April 08, 2011

ebooks

So....what do you think about ebooks? Yeah I know. Paper or electronic--that is the question these days. For me, I'm a paperback girl. I like the feel of a real book in my hands. I love opening it for the first time. I love the smell of a brand new book. And the satisfying feel of turning a page to move further into the story.

But hard to miss the fact that ebooks are taking off like never before! Heck, a well known author, Barry Eisler, even walked away from a 500,000 dollar publishing deal in favor of publishing himself online!

WHAT? As a working writer, that's just unfathomable to me. I have nothing against publishing your work online--buy why walk away from a tradtional contract? Why not keep your erights and have the best of both worlds?

So what do you think? Is E the future? Are books going the way of the horse and carriage?

5 Comments:

  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Lacey Devlin said…

    It's hard to imagine a future without books. I don't have an e-reader but I can see one in my future because it's cheaper than buying a house just for the books =) I will admit that I only plan on using it for books that I don't think will become favorites. So, there's still a good chance a pile of my own books will flatten me like a crepe.

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Lindsay said…

    My biggest issue with ebooks is I can't take my existing collection of books and add them to an e-reader. If there was a way to add my favorite books to an e-library, then I would run out and buy an e-reader. However, until that happens, I'm keeping my existing collection of books.

    The appeal of e-readers is the idea of carrying multiple books with me (particularly on trips) without taking up valuable packing space.

    However, I’m of the opposite frame of mind than Lacy. I would add my favorite books to an e-reader so that I can read them multiple times instead of going through multiple copies. It’s the books that I don’t/didn’t care for that I would regret adding to my e-library.

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger Diana said…

    I have a Sony ereader and I love it, but it will never totally take the place of books for me. It's convenient to just pop the reader in my purse (it's actually with me at all times), especially when traveling - I can carry multiple books and not take up any space. I read 3-5 books a week and borrow a lot of books from the library. If I like the book I will eventually buy it for my ereader to read again and again.

     
  • At 8:45 PM, Anonymous pat said…

    I can see where someone who travels would find an e-reader attractive. Since I don't, it's not something I'm even thinking about buying. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to not be able to hold a book in my hands, when I'm ready to settle in for a good read. Now THAT'S a horror story!!

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can't take an e book into the bathtub

     

Post a Comment

<< Home