Maureen Child - Romance Author Maureen Child - Romance Author

 

Meet Maureen
Coming Soon
Recent Releases
Booklist
Stay Informed
Contact Maureen
Maureen's Blog
Home

 

Monday, August 24, 2009

History Day......



History Day is here....Now, I'm guessing this photo on the left wasn't actually taken on somebody's phone....but it's probably pretty much what it looked like on this day in 0079 at lunchtime in Pompeii. When Mt. Vesuvius erupted around noon, it buried Pompeii under 13 feet of ash. Vesuvius is still considered an active volcano

And in other news....

1456, the printing of the Guttenberg bible was completed

1891, Thomas Edison applied for a movie camera patent

1939, the leader of Murder, Incorporated turned himself into Walter Winchell, a journalist, who in turn, handed him over to the FBI

1969, Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant premiered

1979, BB King celebrated 30 years in the music business

1985, Huey Lewis and the News reached Number 1 on Billboard with The Power of Love....and I'm guessing you're singing it right now.

1991, The Soviet Union began to break apart--Mikhail Gorbechev resigned as head of the Communist Party

1992, one of the worst disasters in US history: Hurricane Andrew crashed into southern Florida--Andrew killed at least 20 people and caused billions in damage.

1995, Microsoft rolled out Windows 95.........(how did they go from THAT to Vista???)

what have you guys got?????

11 Comments:

  • At 11:19 AM, Blogger Pat said…

    Now THAT'S a cool picture. I'm just glad I didn't live nearby at the time.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Ain't that the truth?? Must have been HORRIFYING........

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger Lacey Devlin said…

    Ahh but did Mr. Edison GET his camera patent?

    Volcanoes fascinate me (possibly because I've lived anywhere near a live one, then they'd just terrify me).

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hmm, Lacey...good question! I'm thinking ol' Tom got the patent!

    Volcanoes fascinate AND terrify me. I'm a big multi tasker!!

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger Pat said…

    Was The Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News the theme song for the movie Back to the Future? Because that movie comes to mind, when I think about that song.

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    I keep seeing that movie too! I think though that it was 'GOTTA GET BACK IN TIME' as the theme song...

    Still, The Power of Love was in there somewhere, I'm pretty sure! Anybody know???

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Maureen, this is the first time I am on your web site. and I wanted to tell you how much I like your History Day on your blog. I will be checking back to read your words of wisdom. :=)
    Jeanne

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Hi Jeanne! Glad to see you here! Hope you come back often!

    History Day usually happens on Mondays......

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pompeii--how terrifying that would have been. But like Lacey, volcanoes fascinate me also. In fact, one Christmas, I sent out a card with a picture of me and hubby at the base of an erupting volcano (Costa Rica). Kind of a cool picture!

    Thomas Edison - have you ever looked at his list of patents? It goes on for page after page after page. There must hundreds of patents.

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maureen - did I tell you I was running for RWA Board as PRO Liaison?

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said…

    Cyndi! You're back!! =)

    love to see that volcano picture!

    and yay you on having the energy and committment to run for the rwa board. They do tons of work for little or no thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home